Royal Griffin is a Creature/Monster in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
"Aye, half-eagle, half tomcat, just like on the lord's crest. 'Cept this 'un was carryin' me dead cow 'stead of a scepter.
— Griffin attack witness, name unknown
Griffins were once only found high in the mountains, where they would hunt marmots and wild goats. When humans encroached on their lands, however, griffins soon discovered a new source of much more plentiful and easier-caught prey: cows, sheep and shepherds.
Though still wary of main roads and towns (where fold with the means to hire a witcher are like to dwell), these half-eagle, half-wildcat creatures have gone from rarities to oft-encountered pests known throughout the Northern Realms. Especially hated are the subspecies known as royal griffins and archgriffins."
- Found in: White Orchard
- Drops: Griffin Egg, Griffin Feathers, Griffin Mutagen, Infused Dust, Monster Brain, Monster Claw, Monster Eye, Monster Heart, Raw Meat
- Associated Quests: The Beast of White Orchard
- Wide swipes with his wings - you can dodge under these attacks or to the side
- Charge attack - If you back off too far, the Griffin will charge at you. This does a lot of damage if it connects but it's easy to dodge with a roll to the side
- Bite - If you get close to its head it will try to bite you
- Swoop - Periodically the Griffin will fly up in the air and swoop across the field. Dodge the swoop at the last minute to avoid taking damage from his talons. This attack tracks slightly so timing is of the essence. You can interrupt this attack using the crossbow to knock him out of the air
- Fire - The Igni attack does a lot of damage that lingers after you cast it
When the fight with the Griffin starts, it will be on the ground and will attack either Geralt or Vesemir with speed. Attack it quickly and avoid getting greedy with hits. If it turns its attention to you, backstep away and be ready to dodge its wing sweeps, charges or bites. Eventually it'll take to the air. When it swoops down roll away at the last second to avoid taking damage and use your crossbow as it descends to knock it out of the air. The Griffin is particularly susceptible to Igni , which will hit it for critical damage but then cause further damage as its wings burn. Rinse and repeat until a cutscene kicks in and the Griffin flies away (~1/3 of it's HP remaining).
In the second area (not far away, next to a windmill), the Griffin's attack do not change and it is just as aggressive as before, so operate the same way as the first section of the fight and he will be down quickly
- Notes on Lore and players notes go here.