Devil by the Well
|Range of Health||(info here)|
|Weaknesses||Dimeritium, Moon Dust, Specter & Yrden|
|Loot||Alchemical Materials, Noonwraith Trophy|
Devil by the Well is an Creature/Monster in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
"Wears a dirty dress, all rags, its skin flakin' off of its bones. And it hows... like it's sufferin'.
The residents of White Orchard had suffered more than their fair share of misfortunes. Passing armies had trammeled their spring planting, a griffin had begun abducting their livestock, and, the rotten icing on this painful cake, a noonwraith haunted a nearby well. No wonder the locals called this final evil a 'devil'. The witcher could sense something bound her to this place, and that in order to send her off into the ethereal realms he would first need to learn her secret.
Once that was done, he would have to prepare for battle -and a noonwraith is a demanding opponent. She can disorient her victim by blinding him and creating mirror images of herself, These copies slowly suck their victim's life energy - while their mistress remains untouchable. In order to defeat her, the witcher could not rely on his silver sword alone - the Yrden sign would also be needed to trap her and force her to take on material form.
Witchers don't normally feel a limited range of emotions regarding the monsters they slay. They despise the particularly cruel ones and are repulsed by the disgusting ones, but rare indeed is the monster for which they feel sympathy. Yet that is exactly what Geralty felt for the noonwraith of White Orchard. For a long time he was haunted by thoughts of the young woman whose horrible death and powerful emotions had transformed her in that terrible monster."
Devil by the Well Information
- Found in: White Orchard
- Drops: Noonwraith Trophy
- Associated Quests: Contract: Devil by the Well
- 50 XP
- Attacks: Slashes (melee), Lunge Attack, Mirror Image (with Vitality Drain effects), Invisibility/Teleportation.
- Weaknesses: Dimeritium, Moon Dust, Specter & Yrden
- Strengths: High Damage, Will use Mirror Image - These projections will drain you as long as they are close. One hit will dispell them.
- Strategy: This combat scenario is not as hard as it might seem. The key is Yrden. Whilst in the trap, the Noonwraith will take additional damage and get slowed a bit, allowing you to evade better and hurt it more. Spectre Oil, Swallow and other buffs will assist you further. Be careful of its Mirror Image and its lunge attacks. They deal high damage and stagger you.
- A useful strategy is to score a three hit fast combo then dodge her counter attack. When she comes towards you cast Yrden to slow her down and hit her again with another combo. RInse and repeat and you'll be done very quickly.
- JudasBlitzkrieg - Devil By The Well Boss Fight
Trivia & Lore
- If you approach the Noonwraith before reading its enty in the Beastiary Geralt will say "I went too close" and the battle will be initiated nonetheless.
- Speak to Tomira the Herbalist near White Orchard after you've claimed your reward for an additional one (10 Coins, Alchemical Ingredients) along with some insight on what happened to Claer
Here's a tip: spectrw oil. Bear fat can be found in the woods and by some places of power. I believe a bear is by an Yrden place of power which will be extremely helpful, giving you a nice buff that will be needed. You can find the rest of the stuff for specter oil outside Odolan (the quest giver)'s house in the field. You need 4, but there's around 7 in the area. Once you have the wraith oil, meditate till midnight. The wraith is a noonwraith's and won't be out at that time. It'll give you time to look around and find stuff for beating it, and some lovely White Orchard lore. The bracelet is in the well and there's blood in the house downhill from the well. When fighting the wraith make sure to do it at night. I did it at 3am which was cutting it a bit close as the sun starts rising. You could beat it at level one if you want. Glhf.