Contract: Devil by the Well is a Contract in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. It is only available while on quest Lilac and Gooseberries. You must fight a Noonwraith
I know there is a war on and every man's got trouble enough of his own, but perhaps there is one of you who could help a father in need.
You all surely know the well in the ruined village, and the devil that guards it with a jealous fury - and if you don't know, well, come ask and I'll tell you all about it.
Whoever drives that monster away from the well will get a fat purse full of gold. Just don't tarry, for it's an urgent matter.
- Ask Odolan about the contract.
- Find the spirit that haunts the well.
- Find evidence of the spirit’s presence using your Witcher Senses.
- Read the entry about noonwraiths in the Bestiary.
- Find out what binds the noonwraith to the ruined village.
- Follow the drag marks.
- Read the diary from the ruined house.
- Examine the well.
- Go down the well and look for something that belonged to the dead woman.
- Find a way out of the cave, and leave the cave.
- Prepare to fight the noonwraith and light a fire near the well.
- Light a fire to destroy the noonwraith’s bones and bracelet.
- Defeat the noonwraith.
- Take a trophy from the noonwraith.
- Return to Odolan for a reward.
- Noonwraith Trophy, Amethyst (if you refuse the coin), or Crowns
- Crowns, 4x Saltpetre, 8x Berbercane Fruit, 8x Hellebore Petals, 6x Cortinarius
Locations : White Orchard, Abandoned Village
Characters: Odolan. Tomira the Herbalist
Enemies: Devil by the Well - Noonwraith
Pick up the notice board quest in White Orchard and then speak to Odolan in his house west of the map. He will tell you about a monster that haunts the Abandoned Village's well, and ask that you see to it, so you may haggle for a better reward at this point. Then travel to the objective area and use your Witcher Senses to detect one of these:
- Burnt marks on the grass near the well.
- A burned and dried body.
- Meet the wraith if visiting well at night.
If you have not met the wraith, you will obtain a bestiary entry that reveals wraiths are bound to villages for specific reasons. Your objective will update and you can pursue the eastern one, using your Witcher Senses to find:
- A man stabbed to death with a knife.
- A yellowed diary on a bed, read it to learn about the bracelet. (Gives you quest item: Yellowed Diary)
- Drag marks from a woman being carried away.
If you return to the well and inspect the blood, you will now see the body of the woman, and note her arm is missing. Diving into the well allows you to collect the quest item Ornate Bracelet, with an inscription. Read it and return to the village so that you can bring materials to create a fire and burn Claer's skeleton. Add the bracelet to the fire to force the noonwraith to appear.
The fight with the noonwraith is fairly straight forward. She will sweep around the area allowing you to score a couple of hits before she disappears and reappears nearby. The only thing to really watch out for is that she can summon wraith clones of herself which come from multiple directions around you. Fortunately they only take a hit or two to destroy and if you time it right you can get a combo going which will take them all out without you taking any damage at all. Once you have defeated the noonwraith, loot her body.
You can return to Odolan for your reward.
- JudasBlitzkrieg - Devil By The Well Walkthrough
- Visit the herbalist at the nearby hut to understand more about the events that led to this contract.
- If you save before burning the corpse and initiating the fight you can redo the fight until you get emerald dust as part of the loot, which you will need to make either of the serpent school swords.