Lore is a crucial aspect of The Witcher series. Below is a summary of the story so far (via official website)
- May 1272 The war with Nilfgaard obliterated the old order. The North is engulfed in chaos, and marching armies leave a plague of monsters in their wake. Geralt of Rivia once more treads the Witcher’s Path.
- August 1271 The Empire of Nilfgaard declares war on the Northern Kingdoms.
- July 1271 The witcher arrives at the ruins of Loc Muinne, just as a grand summit of kings and sorcerers is about to begin there. He finds his foe there, and concludes the tale of the assassins of kings. It turns out that the kingslayers were employed by the Empire of Niflgaard.
- June 1271 Geralt helps to resolve the conflict in the Pontar Valley, and discovers that the mysterious assassin was cooperating with the Lodge of Sorceresses.
- June 1271 The witcher arrives in the Pontar Valley accompanied by either Vernon Roche or the elf Iorveth. His search for the kingslayer is all the harder because of the war between King Henselt and the rebels commanded by Saskia, the Virgin of Aedirn.
- May 1271 The kingslayer eludes Geralt, and flees to the Pontar Valley, abducting Triss Merigold in the process.
- May 1271 In the town of Flotsam, the witcher meets old friends and makes new enemies. Geralt antagonizes commandant Loredo, and gets involved in the war between the Temerian Special Forces and the Scoia’tael.
- April 1271 Geralt gets accused of slaying the king. However the commander of Foltest’s special forces, Vernon Roche, helps the witcher to escape up the Pontar river. Geralt begins tracking Foltest’s killer.
- April 1271 The witcher accompanies Foltest in his siege of Castle La Valette. Another assassination attempt takes plece there. This time Geralt acts too late to stop the assassin, and the king dies.
- September 1270 King Foltest rewards Geralt for his help in Vizima. The witcher also foils an assassination attempt on the king. Foltest asks the monster slayer to protect him, until the assassination is investigated.
- August 1270 Geralt manages to reach the cloister of the Order of the Flaming Rose. The witcher defeats the Grand Master who secretly controlled Salamandra’s actions, foiling his mad plan and retrieving the secrets stolen from Kaer Morhen.
- August 1270 The witcher does not give up his pursuit of those who stole the secrets of Kaer Morhen. Azar Javed finally dies at Geralt’s hand, and Salamandra is disbanded.
- August 1270 After making a difficult decision at Murky Waters, Geralt returns to Vizima. The burning city is in chaos. The Order and the Scoia’tael fight in the streets and, to add insult to injury, a deadly striga is prowling the city.
- July 1270 Fleeing the wrath of Salamandra-affiliated Princess Adda, Geralt arrives at the village of Murky Waters. Once there, he gets involved in a conflict between the Scoia’tael and their pursuers – mercenaries serving the Order of the Flaming Rose.
- July 1270 The witcher is ambushed by Azar Javed, and ends up licking his wounds at Triss Merigold’s house. The sorceress arranges an alliance with powerful representatives of the Lodge of Sorceresses and the Merchant’s Guild. Their help allows Geralt to destroy Salamandra’s powerbase in the city and kill the Proffessor.
- June 1270 The witcher continues his investigation in Vizima, with the assistance of Triss and the young medic Shani. Geralt gets acquainted with Yaevin, the commander of the local Scoia’tael insurgent unit, and with Siegfried of Denesle, a knight of the Order of the Flaming Rose.
- June 1270 Following the trail of Salamandra bandits, Geralt arrives at the outskirts of Vizima. The witcher gets involved in the locals’ dirty little schemes and slays the Beast which has been plaguing them.
- May 1270 Kaer Morhen comes under attack from Salamandra bandits. The organisation’s leaders, Azar Javed and the Proffessor, steal the witchers’ secrets, killing young Leo in the process. Geralt starts pursuing them.
- May 1270 On the festival of Belleteyn witcher Geralt of Rivia, until now considered dead, appears near castle Kaer Morhen. He’s being pursued by the Wild Hunt, but the sorceress Triss Merigold saves him from the wraiths.
|external image witcherinfograph.jpg|
This article is an introduction to the events of The Witcher based on the games. It was lovingly put together by hard-working (and very poor writting skills) fan Jarrod Mawson @eatchildren_au
We have converted the content to text as well as presenting his image so that users who cannot download large files still can access the information. Republished with permission. Enjoy!
A simple infograph aimed at updating new “The Witcher” fans with the narrative basics in preparation for Wild Hunt. Written from a perspective of no prior novel knowledge, only information supplied in-game.
A cosmic cataclysm, over 1,500 years before the story begins, which collided several parallel universes, trapping numerous “unnatural” beasts and creatures in this dimension, along with magic. Elvish legends believe Humans too first appeared after the cataclysm, their own world having being destroyed…
Unnamed continent where the story takes place. First home to gnomes, then hundreds of years after the cataclysm settled by elves arrlvlng on 31 white ships. Hundreds of years later agaln the first human settlers land, conquer, and begin their rule.
The most powerful empire in the known world, located In the southern half of the continent. Ruled by Emhyr var Emreis, Nilfgaard is notorious for military, economy, and aggressive expansion, and historical antagonism and war with the Nothern realms.
The “Rome” of The Witcherverse.
Humans lead regions, including the Kingdoms of Temeria, Aedirn, Kaedwen, Redania, and so on, under no united imperialistic rule. It is home to many species, where non-humans are treated as second-class citizens. The Northern Kingdoms are where The Witcher games mostly take place.
Sorcerers & Sorceress
Mages naturally attuned to and educated In controlling “Chaos”, the magic of the world. As a Council or Lodge, mages are often seen sided with royalty as appolnted advisors, though have been the target of persecution through “witch hunts” as society rejects the use of arcane arts.
Warrior monks trained and mutated specifically to hunt monsters. Expert fighters, adept alchemists. and able to harness magic through signs.
Witchers are raised to stay emotionally distant from politics and social Issues, though are considered outcast by many.
As the world has fewer beasts, so too the need for Witchers.
Non-human guerillas, often referred to as Squirrels, fighting against discrimination. Scoia’tael units are known for violent assaults against human caravans and villages. often recklessly causing deaths of Innocents. The cause may be just, but their actions continue to breed conflict between races.
The Wild Hunt
Spectral wraiths and omen of death, reported to appear mainly in winter and after bloody conflict, abducting souls. Many theories exist on the Wild Hunt, and some do not consider hem anything more than an Illusion.
Escaped abductees however tell ales of strange alternate worlds, unicorns and elven gardens…
Our hero. Geralt is a veteran Witcher, who awakes at the beginning of The Witcher, five years after his reported death, with an unfortunate case of amnesla. Geralt’s Journey centers around his struggle to regain his memory and identity, re-Iearn the important figures of his past, how he lost his memory and returned from death, and why he is seemingly pursued by a spectral wralth known as the King of the Wild Hunt.
Geralt’s Journey begins with a bang: reulnlted wlth on-and-off lover and sorceress, Triss Merigold, Geralt, his fellow Witchers (including Geralt’s father figure, Vesemir) embark on a quest to recover stolen Witcher secrets. The adventure sees them enveloped in conspiracy and conflict, particularly between the militant non-human opposlng, anti-magic Order of the Flaming Rose, and rebellious units of Scoia’tael.
Eventually Geralt would uncover the thief and chief conspirator: Jacques de Aldersberg, Grand Master of the Order of the Flamlng Rose, who believed his actlons necessary to prepare mankind for surviving Ithlinne’s Prophecy. The Wolf’s Blizzard approaches, the time of the sword and axe. The Time of the White Frost and White Light, the Time of Madness and Disdain, Tedd Deireadh, the Final Age. The world will perish amidst ice and be reborn with the new sun. Reborn of the Elder Blood, of Hen ichaer, of a planted seed. A seed that will not sprout but burst into flames!” The Grand Master defeated, Geralt came face-to-face wlth the Wlld Hunt, who offered no answers, other than clarifying its desire to reclaim Geralt’s soul.
Geralt was quickly thrust on a new mission: an assassin named Letho, also a Witcher, was killing kings In the Northern Kingdoms. And unllke the last, this adventure would have Geralt regain fragments of his memory and further guide his journey. for Letho knew Geralt personally.
Geralt learned of his death at the hands of a pitchfork peasant while defending non- humans during a riot. Hls llfe was saved by Yennefer, a raven haired sorceress and lover, who gave her own for his, the two then teleported to safety by an ashen haired girl. However, the lover’s peace was quickly disrupted, for the King of the Wild Hunt appeared and stole Yennefer away, Geralt in hot pursuit.
During a final confrontation Letho would reveal all. Geralt recalled Letho helping him track the Wild Hunt, and Letho explalned how Geralt offered the Hunt his soul In return for Yennefer’s. The Hunt accepted. While Geralt rode with the Wild Hunt (and eventually escaped), Letho cared for Yennefer, who too suffered from amnesia. her troublemaking ultimately getting them caught and partlng ways In the Nilfgaardlan Empire.
As for the assassinations, Letho laid out hls cards: sorceresses schemed for power and kings continued to war. Backed by Emhyr var Emreis, Emperor of Nilfgaard, he capitalised on the situation to seed chaos into the North, weakening them for an imminent invasion. In return, the Emperor promised Letho to rebuild his Witcher school, and give him and his kind a renewed place In the world.
And so Geralt enters the final stage of his journey. Nilfgaard successfully invaded, sweeping across the Northern Kingdoms though some resistance remains. Emperor Emhyr var Emreis seeks Ciri, the ashen haired girl from Geralt’s past. claiming she is connected to a prophecy. Meanwhile Yennefer, Geralt’s lost lover sorceress he saved from the Wild Hunt, has too reappeared, now In the North, also searching for Ciri.
While men war and spill blood, a full moon omen sees the manifestation of the Wild Hunt wraiths in physical form, the King of the Wild Hunt is locked on a mission not unlike others: Ciri.
Made by EatChildren (@eatchildren_au) at 4am.