To Bait a Forktail is a Quest in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
"Yennefer asked - or rather, if I am to be completely honest with you, dear reader, ordered - Geralt to help Eskel hunt a forktail. The sorceress needed ingredients from this dangerous beast's body and clearly thought two witchers would get the job done sooner than one. Geralt thus set out to track the monster - but first, he had to find Eskel.
In the end, the hunters bagged their prey. Using their traditional and, while we're being honest, rather unrefined methods, the two witchers first lured the forktail close, then wounded the beast and gave chase as it fled, finally finishing it off in its lair. And so they acquired the ingredients Yennefer needed and, no less important, had a bit of time to catch up - Eskel and Geralt had not seen each other in years."
- Look around for more tracks left by Eskel using your Witcher Senses
- Follow the smell using your Witcher Senses
- Follow Eskel's footprints using your Witcher SensesSearch for Eskel's tr
- acks near the entrance to Kaer Morhen using your Witcher Senses
- Follow the tracks left by Eskel's horse using your Witcher Senses
- Follow Eskel's tracks using your Witcher Senses
- Examine the area around Eskel's horse for tracks using your Witcher Senses
- Find and kill the forktail
- Chase the forktail
- Fight the forktail
- Return to Kaer Morhen
- Beat Eskel back to Kaer Morhen
- ?? xp
- ?? gold
- ?? items
Exit Kaer Morhen and use your Witcher Senses to examine some hoofprints at the south gate. Get on Roach and follow the tracks to the river. Cross heading south and up the hill and head left. Up the grassy hill you will find Eskel's horse by a small camp. You may inspect the bottles if you wish search around for Eskel's footprints and those of a goat.
Follow the path south from the camp checking the tracks in front of you. Inspect a tree near where they stop to find evidence of a goat rubbing itself. Track the smell up the mountain and pick up Eskel's footprints. You will hear the goat and find it tied to a stake. Eskel appears and greets you. Speak to Eskel and when the forktail approaches, tackle it. When it loses a third of its health it will take to the air and head up the mountain. Follow it up the ledges. When you reach the crest, descend and use your Witcher senses to find the forktail blood and a set of prints on a ledge which leads into a tunnel that is the forktail's lair.
Head down the tunnel, following the blood to find the beast. Kill it and speak to Eskel. Retrieve its spinal fluid and leave. Eskel will challenge you to a race. Winning the race earns you xp and alchemy recipes. Once you reach the south gates of Kaer Morhen, the quest finishes. You may now complete any of the remaining other 2 quests that came avaialable after Ugly Baby or continue on to No Place Like Home.
- Video Walkthrough links go here (You must add text)
- Player notes, bugs, and trivia go here